344: 3rd & 6th Dragoon Guards, 3rd Carabiniers, Scots Greys, Royal Scots Dragoon Guards

This entry was posted by Thursday, 13 January, 2011
Read the rest of this entry »


3rd Dragoon Guards

The 3rd (Prince of Wales’s) Dragoon Guards was a cavalry regiment in the British Army, first raised in 1685. It saw service for three centuries, before being amalgamated into the 3rd/6th Dragoon Guards in 1922.

The regiment was first raised as the Earl of Plymouth’s Regiment of Horse in 1685, by the regimenting of various independent troops, and ranked as the 4th Regiment of Horse.

In 1746 it was ranked as the 3rd Dragoon Guards, and formally titled in 1751 as the 3rd Regiment of Dragoon Guards.

Shortly thereafter, in 1765, it took the title 3rd (Prince of Wales’s) Dragoon Guards, for the future George IV.

After service in the First World War, it retitled as 3rd Dragoon Guards (Prince of Wales’s) in 1921, and was amalgamated with the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers) to form the 3rd/6th Dragoon Guards the following year.

Battle honours

The regiment was awarded the following battle honours:

  • Blenheim, Ramillies, Oudenarde, Malplaquet, Warburg, Beaumont, Willems, Talavera, Albuhera, Vittoria, Peninsula, Abyssinia, South Africa 1901-02
  • The Great War: Ypres 1914 ’15, Nonne Bosschen, Frezenberg, Loos, Arras 1917, Scarpe 1917, Somme 1918, St. Quentin, Avre, Amiens, Hindenburg Line, Beaurevoir, Cambrai 1918, Pursuit to Mons, France and Flanders 1914-18

Former names of the regiment and some Colonels

1685 4th Regiment of Horse

1685 Thomas, Earl of Plymouth —Windsor’s or The Earl of Plymouth’s Regiment of Horse

1746 3rd Regiment of Horse

1751 3rd Regiment of Dragoon Guards

1765 3rd (Prince of Wales’s) Dragoon Guards

1921 3rd Dragoon Guards (Prince of Wales’s)

1922 3rd/6th Dragoon Guards

after the regiment was amalgamated with the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers)

 Carabiniers (6th Dragoon Guards)

The Carabiniers (6th Dragoon Guards) was a cavalry regiment of the British Army.


The regiment was descended from the Ninth Horse regiment, raised in response to the Duke of Monmouth’s rebellion in 1685, the first year of the reign of King James II. Colonelcy of the Ninth Horse was given to Richard, 2nd Viscount Lumley of Waterford. In accordance with tradition of the time, the regiment became known as Lord Lumley’s Horse. Shortly thereafter, Lumley petitioned the Queen Dowager to permit labeling the regiment The Queen Dowager’s Horse, which request was granted. In 1691, during King William’s Irish Campaign, the regiment distinguished itself, as a result of which it was posted to London and renamed The King’s Carabiniers.

The regiment participated in putting down the rebellion of Bonnie Prince Charlie in 1745-46. By this time, it was recruited almost entirely from Irish Protestants, and so the regiment was redesignated the Third Irish Horse, but continued to be known as The Carabiniers. In 1788 a reapportionment of the army establishment resulted in the designation 6th Dragoon Guards (The Carabiniers), which was to remain in place for the next 133 years. The regiment fought under this title through the Napoleonic Wars, to include the Peninsular War; the Crimean War; the Boer War; and World War I.

During the 1800s there was an attempt to convert the regiment to light cavalry, and various appropriate changes to uniform were made, however this change did not come to fruition, leaving various oddities, such as a Light Cavalry sabre, and the Blue and Yellow of British Light Cavalry that would be a lasting legacy.

In 1906, the regiment was part of The Cavalry Brigade at the Grand Durbar (the visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales to Bangalore), during which HRH presented a new standard to The Carabiniers. The regiment was in the First and Second Battle of Ypres in Belgium, at the Battle of the Somme, Allenby‘s attack at Arras, and at Longueval. Following the war, the regiment was on constabulary duty in Ireland from 1919-1922.

In July 1922, the 6th Dragoon Guards (The Carabiniers) was returned to England and posted to Aldershot. There, they were amalgamated with the 3rd Dragoon Guards (Prince of Wales’s), and this regiment was designated the 3rd/6th Dragoon Guards.



3rd Carabiniers

The 3rd Carabiniers (Prince of Wales’s Dragoon Guards) was a cavalry regiment of the British Army.


The regiment was formed in 1922 as part of a reduction in the army’s cavalry by the amalgamation of the 3rd Dragoon Guards (Prince of Wales’s) and The Carabiniers (6th Dragoon Guards), to form the 3rd/6th Dragoon Guards. Both regiments were based in India at the time of their amalgamation; the newly formed regiment departed in 1925 for Britain. It regained its carabinier association in 1928 when it was renamed the 3rd Carabiniers (Prince of Wales’s Dragoon Guards).

In 1936 the 3rd Carabiniers was posted to Sialkot,India; their first deployment of the 1930s. It began its mechanisation process in 1938, changing its horses for armoured vehicles, and became part of the newly formed Royal Armoured Corps (RAC) the following year.

Second World War

When the war began in September 1939, the 3rd Carabiniers were still based in India. In 1941, a cadre from the regiment was used to form the 25th Dragoons, which saw service in Burma; it was disbanded in India in 1947. The 3rd Carabiniers, itself, would serve solely in Asia after Japan’s entry into the war in December 1941. The regiment was initially based away from the frontline, guarding southern India from potential Japanese invasion. In 1943, it absorbed the personnel of the recently disbanded 26th Hussars.

Now equipped with the M3 Lee medium tank, the regiment was sent to North-East India with the 254th Indian Tank Brigade in December 1943. They took part in the Battle of Imphal, which began in late March 1944 after the Japanese launched the U-Go offensive. On 20 March, around Tamu six of the regiment’s tanks clashed with six Japanese Type 95 Ha-Go tanks, destroying five of them and capturing the other.  Later, in the battle to retake Nunshigum Ridge, on 13 April, tanks from the regiment’s ‘B’ Squadron supported the 1/17th Dogras in fierce fighting that dislodged the Japanese defenders. The Nunshigum action later became the 3rd Carabiniers’ regimental anniversary. The regiment continued its involvement in the Imphal battle until the Allied victory at Kohima on 22 June 1944 ended the Japanese offensive.

The 3rd Carabiniers, operating usually at squadron level or lower, took part in the successful advance deep into occupied Burma, taking part in (among others) an intense action at Kennedy Peak. Early 1945 saw the regiment engaged in fighting at Shwebo and Sagang; it took part in the capture of Ava and Mandalay in March, and later around the Irrawaddy River.

Post-World War II

After the war’s official end in September, the regiment remained part of the British garrison in India up until the British withdrawal. The regiment’s departure came in early 1947 when they embarked aboard the Highland Princess at Bombay, becoming the last cavalry regiment to leave India  

The 3rd Carabiniers was posted to the British Army of the Rhine in West Germany in 1952, based in Osnabrück remaining there until 1959.  After that, it moved to Catterick, England, but its stay there was short, as it joined the Strategic Reserve at Tidworth the following year. In 1961 the regiment deployed its ‘C’ Squadron to Kuwait as part of a British force charged with deterring Iraq from fulfilling its threats to annex it. A return to West Germany came the following year, when it joined the 20th Armoured Brigade in Detmold.

Having been armed with tanks since the early 1950s, the regiment was re-roled to a reconnaissance unit in 1967, first operating the Ferret scout car. Deployments to the British military installations in Libya and Cyprus followed. The regiment in 1968 also had one squadron each in Sharjah and Aden.[citation needed] A brief posting to Münster, West Germany took place in 1969 before moving to Herford, West Germany.

On 2 July 1971, the regiment amalgamated with the Royal Scots Greys (2nd Dragoons), forming the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys).




Royal Scots Greys

The Royal Scots Greys was a cavalry regiment of the British Army from 1707 until 1971, when they amalgamated with the 3rd Carabiniers (Prince of Wales’s Dragoon Guards) to form The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys).

The regiment‘s history began in 1678, when three independent troops of Scots Dragoons were raised. In 1681, these troops were regimented to form The Royal Regiment of Scots Dragoons, numbered the 4th Dragoons in 1694. They were already mounted on grey horses by this stage and were already being referred to as the Grey Dragoons. In 1707, they were renamed The Royal North British Dragoons (North Britain then being the envisaged common name for Scotland), but were already being referred to as the Scots Greys. In 1713, they were renumbered the 2nd Dragoons as part of deal between the establishments of the English Army and Scottish Army when they were being unified into the British Army.[1] They were also sometimes referred to, during the first Jacobite uprising, as Portmore’s Dragoons.[2] In 1877, their nickname was finally made official when they became the 2nd Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys), which was inverted in 1921 to The Royal Scots Greys (2nd Dragoons). They kept this title until 2 July 1971, when they amalgamated with the 3rd Carabiniers, forming the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards.

Origins of the Scots Greys

The Royal Scots Greys originated as three troops of dragoons. The first two were formed on 21 May 1678 under the commands of Captain John Strachan and Captain John Inglis. The third, under the command of Captain Viscount Kingstoun, was formed on 23 September 1678. These were the first mounted troops raised for the British crown in Scotland. Inglis, Stachan and Kingstoun’s troops would spend their early years suppressing prohibited Presbyterian assemblies in Scotland.[3]

In 1681, by Royal Warrant, these three troops were combined, with the addition of three further troops, into what would be named the Royal Regiment of Scots Dragoons.[4] Lieutenant-General Thomas Dalziel would be the regiment’s first colonel. In its original configuration, the Scots Greys were configured as a true dragoon regiment. Although mounted, as cavalry regiments were, their armament was closer to that carried by infantry units. Troopers of the Scots Greys were authorized, during the late 17th century, to carry matchlock muskets with bayonets, while their sergeants and corporals carried halberds and pistols. Only the officers were authorized swords, though the lieutenants were to be armed with a partisan.[5] Interestingly, the original uniform called for the troopers to wear grey coats, but there is no record that the regimental mounts had to be of any particular colour.[6]

Between its formation in 1681 and 1685, the Scots Greys were employed primarily in keeping civil order in Scotland. The regiment participated in expeditions against various fractious clans which resisted the monarch’s rule. In 1688, the regiment was quartered in London at the start of the Glorious Revolution. Upon the landing of William of Orange, the regiment took the side of William and Mary, being taken on into the new king’s army. Ordered back to Scotland, the Scots Greys took part in the Battle of Killiecrankie against the Jacobites. For their service, the regiment’s title as a Royal regiment was confirmed and they were ranked as the 4th Dragoons.[7]

1693–1714: Grey Horses, Red Coats, and War of Spanish Succession

Prior to 1693, there is no record that the regiment used grey horses exclusive to others. However, when inspected in London in 1693 by King William III, people took note that the regiment was mounted on all grey horses. Some have offered the theory that the grey horses originated with the Dutch Horse Guards. When they left to return to the Netherlands, the horses were turned over to the Scots Greys.[8] Although there is no definite reason, some of the men also wore either fur caps or broad-brimmed hats. By the time of their royal inspection, uniforms of the regiment had also changed. Gone were the dull grey coats they had initially worn, replaced with the red, or scarlet, coats with blue facings proclaiming the Scots Greys “Royal” status.[8] After this first showing of an all grey horsed regiment, the regiment became increasingly known as the “Grey Dragoons” or the “Scots Regiment of Grey Dragoons”.

Together with the Royal English Dragoons and Lord Fairfax’s Dragoons, the Scots Greys were transferred to the Netherlands in 1694. There, they saw action during the Nine Years’ War deployed in the traditional dragoon role of reconnaissance and security duties. However, other than a few minor skirmishes on the border with France, the Scots Greys did not see any significant actions during their three years on the continent.[8]

After returning to Scotland on garrison duties from 1697 to 1702, the Scots Greys were sent to Holland to join the army under John Churchill, soon to become the Duke of Marlborough. The War of the Spanish Succession had begun a year earlier and the Scots Greys were to take part in his campaigns on the continent. During the first two years of the war, Marlborough’s forces laid siege to a number of fortresses, including those on the Meuse, the lower Moselle and Rhine rivers. In the process, capturing Venlo, Roermond, Stevensweert, Liège, Bonn, Huy, and Limbourg. Under the command of Thomas Lord Tiviot, the Scots Greys would participate in the sieges.[9] For most of the campaigns of 1702 and 1703, the Scots Greys performed the typical cavalry duties of reconnaissance and screening for Marlborough’s forces. Their first notable action was the capture of a French convoy in 1703, including a large shipment of bullion.[10]

The following year, with the Holy Roman Empire threatened by the success of Rákóczi‘s Hungarian revolt, Marlborough made his march to the Danube. During the campaign, the Scots Greys served as part of Ross‘s Dragoon Brigade.[11] At the Battle of Schellenberg, on 2 July 1704, the Scots Greys were originally held as part of the reserve. With the failure of the first assault, the Scots Greys were ordered into the line as dismounted infantry. Once the breakthrough occurred, the Scots Greys were back in the saddle participating in the pursuit.[10]


A little more than two weeks later, the Scots Greys fought in the Battle of Blenheim. As part of Ross’ Brigade, the Scots Greys again fought as dismounted infantry in the attack on Blenheim itself.[10] On route to the village, the Scots Greys and the Wynne’s Regiment of Dragoons had to fend off a charge by the French regiments of d’Artois and 1er Provence.[12] With the help of the Hanoverians, the Scots Greys beat back the charge and then helped to clear the French from Blenheim. Despite being heavily engaged, at times in hand-to-hand combat, the Scots Greys did not have a single fatality, though they did suffer many wounded.[10]

Following the Battle of Blenheim, the Scots Greys returned to the Netherlands. In 1705, they took part in Marlborough’s campaign along the Moselle river.[13] At the Battle of Elixheim, the Scots Greys participated in the massed cavalry charge which broke through the French lines.[14] Although victorious, it was an incomplete victory as Marlborough had to follow up and complete the defeat of Duc de Villeroi’s army.[15]

The following year, the Scots Greys were once again in the field under Marlborough. With the French armies pressing the Alliance, Marlborough’s forces had to remain in the Low Countries. The French armies were maneuvering to fight a battle that would allow them to dictate terms for a peace treaty.[16] The two armies met near Ramillies on 23 May 1706. During the battle, the Scots Greys, serving in Lord Hays’ brigade of dragoons, forced their way into the village of Autre Eglise, routing the French infantry defending the village. After passing through the village, the Scots Greys encountered French and quickly defeated the Régiment du Roi. The French quickly surrendered, with the Scots Greys capturing their colours.[17] It was also at this battle that the Scots Greys discovered that one of its troopers was more than he appeared. Carried wounded from the battle to the surgeon, it was discovered that one of the dragoons was in fact a woman who had joined the regiment searching for her husband.[18]

The Scots Greys spent the next year on outpost duty. However, in 1708, with the French once again advancing into the Low Countries, the Scots Greys’ next significant action would be the Battle of Oudenarde.[17] At the battle, the Scots Greys, now renamed the Royal North British Dragoons and were held in reserve until the French retreated. The Scots Greys took part in the pursuit until ordered off when it became too dark.[19]

The following year, Marlborough’s Allied Army took the offensive against the French. The Scots Greys, still part of Sybourg’s Brigade, took part in the capture of the fortress as Tournai and Ypres.[20] With Marlborough’s army heading towards Mons, the French Army moved to intercept. After a series of maneuvers, the two armies met at the Battle of Malplaquet on 11 September 1709. During the battle, the Scots Greys were brought up from the reserve but found themselves engaged with French cavalry almost as soon as they were ordered forward. After initially being driven back by the French cavalry, the Scots Greys rallied and reengaged the French. In a series of charges, the Scots Greys steadily drove back the French horse, until finally forcing them to retreat. In the process, the Scots Greys captured the standard of the French Household Cavalry.[17]

1710 passed with the Scots Greys once again patrolling the frontier with the France. In 1711, the Scots Greys took the field once again with the Duke of Marlborough’s army. This time, they helped force Marshall Villars’ “ne plus ultra” lines defending Paris from the Allied Army operating from the low countries. As part of the covering force, they participated in the siege of Bouchain.[17] This would be the last major battle of the war for both the Scots Greys and Marlborough. Marlborough would be stripped of his command, and the Scots Greys would be returned to Britain as the peace talks neared their completion.

As the Scots Greys were returning home, Britain was in the process of reorganizing the army in the aftermath of the Union of England and Scotland. The British government was trying to make it more uniform, as well as sorting out the question of which regiment took precedence over which. An examination of the records revealed that the designation of the Scots Greys as the 4th regiment of dragoons was improper. At the time they entered the service, in 1685, there had been only one other regiment of dragoons in service. However, the senior English dragoon regiment was raised after the Scots Greys was first formed. Although this would mean that the Scots Greys should be designated as the first dragoon regiment, there was a problem. The Royal Scots were already due to be redesignated as the first regiment of infantry. In order to blend the English and Scottish military establishments together, a compromise was reached. The English dragoon regiment would be designated as the first, and the Scots Greys would become the second.[21] Therefore, the Scots Greys were redesignated as the 2nd Royal North British Dragoons[1] (and hence the motto Second to None).[22]

1715–1741 Home Service and Jacobites

Painting of the Battle of Sheriffmuir by John Wootton. The view is from the British government side. To the right, there are figures mounted on grey or white horses where, according to the accounts of the battle, the Scots Greys lined up before charging and routing the Jacobite cavalry.

Once back in Britain, the Scots Greys returned to Scotland where they helped police the countryside. In 1715, the Earl Mar declared for the “Old Pretender”, James Stuart, sparking the Jacobite Rising. Remaining loyal to the Anglo-German king, the Scots Greys were active in putting down the uprising. This included taking part at the Battle of Sheriffmuir on 13 November 1715. There the Scots Greys, under the Duke of Argyll, were stationed on the right of the Government forces.[23][24] Also known at that time as Portmore’s Dragoons, the Scots Greys initially attacked the left flank of the Jacobite army. Advancing around a bog, which the highlanders had thought would protect their flank, the Scots Greys surprised the highlanders, making repeated charges into disordered ranks of the Jacobite infantry.[2] The Scots Greys continue to pursue the shattered left wing of the Jacobite force as it fled for nearly two miles until it was blocked by the river Allan. Unable to fall back, disorganized, they were easy targets for the Scots Greys’ dragoons. It is reported that the Duke of Argyll was said to cry out to “Spare the poor blue bonnets!”. However, little quarter was given by Scots Greys to any group trying to rally that day.[2] The rest of the royal forces were not as successful. The Jacobites managed to route the left wing of the Royal army, the day ending in a tactical standoff.[1]

Although the fighting was indecisive, the battle had halted the Jacobite’s momentum. For the next four years, the Scots Greys continued to suppress Jacobite supporters in Scotland.[24] With the final end of the First Jacobite Rising in 1719, the Scots Greys went back to their traditional role: policing Scotland. The next 23 years passed relatively uneventfully for the regiment.[1]

 Campaign in the Low Countries

With the French Revolution in 1789, and the increasing tensions between Great Britain and Revolutionary France, the Scots Greys were brought up to strength and then expanded with four new troops to nine troops of dragoons, each of 54 men, in 1792 in anticipation of hostilities.[44] Four troops of the Scots Greys were alerted for possible foreign deployment in 1792 and were transported to the continent in 1793 to join the Duke of York‘s army operating in the low countries.[45] The Scots Greys arrived in time to participate in the siege of Valenciennes and then the unsuccessful siege of Dunkirk.[44]

Following the failure of the siege, the Scots Greys were employed as part of the screen for the Duke of York’s army, skirmishing with French forces.[46] The next significant of action for the Scots Greys occurred at Willems 10 May 1794 on the heights near Tournai. There the Scots Greys, brigaded with the Bays and the Inniskillings, charged the advancing French infantry. The French infantry, upon seeing the threat of the cavalry formed into squares. The Scots Greys charged directly into nearest of the squares. The charge broke the formed infantry square, a remarkable feat. The breaking of the first square demoralized the other French infantry, allowing the Bays and the Inniskillings to break those squares as well.[47] In exchange for 20 casualties, the Greys had helped route three battalions and capture at least 13 artillery pieces.[46] This would be the last time that British cavalry, alone without artillery support, would break an infantry square until the Battle of Garcia Hernandez in 1812.[47]

Despite the victory before Tournai, the Allied Army would be defeated at the Battle of Tourcoing on 18 May 1794. From then on, the British Army would be retreating the face of the French Army. During the retreat, the Scots Greys were active in covering the British forces retreat through the low countries and into Hanover.[46] By the spring of 1795, the Army reached Bremen, in Hanover, and was embarked on ships to return to England. The four troops of Scots Greys arrived in England in November 1795, allowing the regiment to be reunited.[47] The ninth troop was disbanded when the regiment was reunited.[46]

Despite their exploits in the low countries, and the fact that Britain would be heavily engaged around the globe fighting Revolutionary and, later, Napoleonic France, the Scots Greys would not see action until 1815.[48] Over the next twenty years, the Scots Greys would rotate through stations in England, Scotland, and Ireland.


This changed when news of Napoleon‘s escape from Elba reached Britain. The Scots Greys, which had been reduced in size because of the end of the Peninsular War, were expanded. This time, there would be 10 troops of cavalry, a total of 946 officer and men, the largest the regiment had ever been to that time.[49] Six of the ten troops were sent to the continent, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel James Inglis Hamilton, to join the army forming under the command of the Duke of Wellington.[49] The Scots Greys, upon arrival in Ghent, were brigaded under the command of Major-General Ponsonby in the Union Brigade, with Royal Dragoons and the Inniskillings Dragoons.

The Scots Greys, with the rest of the Union Brigade, missed the Battle of Quatre Bras despite a long day of hard riding. As the French fell back, the Scots Greys and the rest of the Union Brigade arrived at the end of their 50-mile ride.[50] With the rest of Wellington’s Army, the Scots Greys fell back to take positions near the village of Waterloo.

On the morning of 18 June 1815, the Scots Greys found themselves in the third line of Wellington’s army, on the left flank.[51] As the fights around La Haye Sainte and Hougoumont developed, Wellington’s cavalry commander, the Earl of Uxbridge, held the cavalry back. However, with the French infantry advancing and threatening to break the British center. Uxbridge ordered the Household Brigade and the Union Brigades to attack the French infantry of D’Erlon’s Corps. The Scots Greys were initially ordered to remain in reserve as the other two brigades attacked.[52]

As the rest of the British heavy cavalry advanced against the French infantry, just after 1:30 pm, Lieutenant-Colonel Hamilton witnessed Pack’s brigade beginning to crumble, and the 92nd Highlanders falling back in disorder.[52] On his initiative, Hamilton ordered his regiment forward at the walk. Because the ground was broken and uneven, thanks to the mud, crops, and the men of 92nd, the Scots Greys remained at the walk until they had passed through the Gordons. The arrival of the Scots Greys helped to rally the Gordons, who turned to attack the French.[52] Even without attacking at a full gallop, the weight of the Scots Greys charge proved to be irresistible for the French column pressing Pack’s Brigade. As Captain Duthilt, who was present with de Marcognet’s 3rd Division, wrote of the Scots Greys charge:

Just as I was pushing one of our men back into the ranks I saw him fall at my feet from a sabre slash. I turned round instantly – to see English cavalry forcing their way into our midst and hacking us to pieces. Just as it is difficult, if not impossible, for the best cavalry to break into infantry who are formed into squares and who defend themselves with coolness and daring, so it is true that once the ranks have been penetrated, then resistance is useless and nothing remains for the cavalry to do but to slaughter at almost no risk to themselves. This what happened, in vain our poor fellows stood up and stretched out their arms; they could not reach far enough to bayonet these cavalrymen mounted on powerful horses, and the few shots fired in chaotic melee were just as fatal to our own men as to the English. And so we found ourselves defenseless against a relentless enemy who, in the intoxication of battle, sabred even our drummers and fifers without mercy.[53]

A lieutenant of the 92nd Highlanders who was present would later write, “the Scots Greys actually walked over this column”.[54]

As the Scots Greys waded through the French column, Sergeant Charles Ewart found himself within sight of the eagle of 45e Régiment de Ligne (45th Regiment of the Line). With a chance to capture the eagle, Ewart fought his way towards it, later recounting:

One made a thrust at my groin – I parried it off and … cut him through the head. one of their Lancers threw his lance at me but missed … by my throwing it off with my sword … I cut him through the chin and upwards through the teeth. Next, I was attacked by a foot soldier, who, after firing at me charged me with his bayonet, but … I parried it and cut him down through the head.[56]

With the eagle captured, Sergeant Ewart was ordered to take the trophy off, denying the French troops a chance to recapture their battle standard. In recognition of his feat, he was promoted from sergeant to ensign.[57]

Having defeated the column and captured one of its battle standards, the Scots Greys were now disorganized. Neither Ponsonby nor Hamilton were able to effectively bring their troopers back under control. Rather than being able to reorganize, the Scots Greys continued their advance gaining speed, eventually galloping, and now aimed at Durutte’s division of infantry.[58] Unlike the disordered column that had been engaged in attacking Pack’s brigade, some of Durutte’s men had time to form square to receive the cavalry charge.[58] The volley of musket fire scythed through the Scots Greys’ ragged line as they swept over and round the French infantry, unable to break them. Colonel Hamilton was last seen during the charge, leading a party of Scots Greys, towards the French artillery.[59] However, in turning to receive the Scots Greys’ charge, Durutte’s infantry exposed themselves to the 1st Royal Dragoons. The Royal Dragoons slashed through them, capturing or routing much of the column.[60]

Having taken casualties, and still trying to reorder themselves, the Scots Greys and the rest of the Union Brigade found themselves before the main French lines.[61] Their horses were blown, and they were still in disorder without any idea of what their next collective objective was. Some attacked nearby gun batteries of the Grande Battery, dispersing or sabring the gunners.[62] Disorganized and milling about the bottom of the valley between Hougoumont and La Belle Alliance, the Scots Greys and the rest of the British heavy cavalry were taken by surprise by the counter-charge of Milhaud‘s cuirassiers, joined by lancers from Baron Jaquinot’s 1st Cavalry Division.[63]

As Ponsonby tried to rally his men against the French cuirassers, he was attacked by Jaquinot’s lancers and captured. A nearby party of Scots Greys saw the capture and attempted to rescue their brigade commander. However, the French soldier who had captured Ponsonby executed him and then used his lance to kill three of the Scots Greys who had attempted the rescue.[61] By the time Ponsonby died, the momentum had entirely returned in favor of the French. Milhaud’s and Jaquinot’s cavalrymen drove the Union Brigade from the valley. The French artillery added to the Scots Greys’ misery.[59]

The remnants of the Scots Greys retreated to the British lines, harried by French cavalry. They eventually reformed on the left, supporting the rest of the line as best they could with carbine fire. In all, the Scots Greys suffered 104 dead and 97 wounded and 228 of the 416 horses. When they were finally reformed, the Scots Greys could only field two weakened squadrons, rather than the three complete ones with which they had begun the day.[59]

Following the victory of Waterloo, the Scots Greys pursued the defeated French Army until Napoleon’s surrender and final abdication. The Scots Greys would remain on the continent until 1816 as part of the army of occupation under the terms of the peace treaty.[59]

1816–1856: Years of peace and the Crimean War

Between 1816 and 1854, the Scots Greys remained in the British Isles. As they had done in the interludes between continental wars, they moved from station to station, sometimes being called upon to support local civilian authorities.[64] During these years, there was very little that changed, either in the Scots Greys or the British Army in general.

The decades of peaceful home service were broken with the outbreak of war with Russia. Trying to prop up the Ottoman Empire, Britain, France, and Sardinia, mobilized forces to fight in the Black Sea. The allied nations agreed that the target of the expedition would be Sevastopol in the Crimea. Assigned to Brigadier-General Sir James Scarlett‘s Heavy Brigade of the Cavalry Division, the Scots Greys, commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Griffith arrived in the Crimea in 1854.[65] The Heavy Brigade was not present for the Battle of Alma on 20 September 1854. However, a little over a month later, the Heavy Brigade was present at Balaclava.

On 25 October 1854, the Heavy Brigade was part of a British force supporting the siege operations around Sevastopol. The British on the right flank of the siege lines were over extended, giving the Russian forces under General Pavel Petrovich Liprandi an opportunity to disrupt the British siege works and possible destroy their supply base at Balaclava.[66] With nearly 25,000 men, including 3,000 cavalry troopers formed in 20 squadrons and 78 artillery pieces, General Liprandi attacked the British positions.[67] To defend its supply base and siege lines, the British could counter with approximately 4,500 men and 26 artillery pieces.[68]

As the Russian’s attacked, the Scots Greys watched as the redoubts protecting the supply lines and Balaclava were overrun by the Russians.[69] They watched as the Russian force charge the 93rd Highlanders, only to be turned back by the “thin red streak tipped with a line of steel“.[70] With additional Russian cavalry heading towards the Colin Campbell‘s 93rd Highlanders, Lord Lucan ordered Scarlett’s Heavy Brigade to attack.

Leading men into battle for the first time ever, Scarlett ordered his brigade to form two columns. The left column contained a squadron of the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons, followed by the two squadrons of the Scots Greys.[71] As they trotted to the assistance of the Campell’s Highlanders, Scarlett was informed of additional Russian cavalry threatening his flank. Ordering the brigade to wheel about, the Scots Greys ended up in line with the Inniskilling Dragoons in the front row supported by the 5th Dragoon Guards.[71] Even with the Russian cavalry approaching, Scarlett waited patiently for his dragoons to be brought into formation rather than move in a disorganized formation.[72]

The approaching Russian cavalry was on the heights and numbered about 3,000 sabers. The Scots Greys and the rest of the British dragoons were waiting at the base of the heights, and totalled about 800 men.[72] Satisfied that his brigade was ready, Scarlett finally sounded the advance. Although Scarlett had spent precious minutes ordering his line, it soon proved to be unwieldy, especially in the sector occupied by the Scots Greys, who had to pick their way through the abandoned camp of the Light Brigade. The Scots Greys, once clear of the Light Brigade’s camp, had to speed up to catch Scarlett and his aides, who were more than 50 yards ahead of them.[73] For some reason, the Russian cavalry commander chose to halt up slope of the Heavy Brigade, choosing to receive the charge at a halt.[74]

Scarlett and his command group, two aides and a trumpeter, were the first to reach the Russian cavalry. The rest of the brigade follow closely. As they neared the Russian line, they started to take carbine fire, which killed the Scots Greys’ commander and took the hat off of its executive officer.[75] The Scots Greys finally came abreast of the Inniskillings just short of the Russians and the two regiments finally were able to gallop.[74] As the Inniskillings shouted their battle cry,Faugh A Ballagh, observers reported that the Scots Greys made an eerie, growling moan.[76] The Scots Greys charged through the Russian cavalry, along with the Inniskilings, and disappeared into the melee among the mass of Russian cavalry. With both forces disordered by the charge, it became clear to the regimental adjutant of the Scots Greys that, to avoid be overwhelmed by Russian numbers, the Scots Greys had to reform.[77] Pushed back from the center of the mass, the Scots Greys reformed around the adjutant and drove again into the Russian cavalry. Seeing that the Scots Greys were again cut off, the Royal Dragoons, finally arriving to the fight after disobeying Scarlett’s order to remain with the Light Brigade, charged to their assistance, helping to push the Russians back.[78] Amid the hacking and slashing of the saber battle, the Russian cavalry had had enough, and retreated back up the hill, pursued for a short time by the Scots Greys and the rest of the regiments.[79]

The entire encounter lasted approximately 10 minutes, starting at 9:15 and ending by 9:30 a.m. In that time, in exchange for 78 total casualties, the Heavy Brigade inflicted 270 casualties on the Russian cavalry, including Major-General Khaletski.[79] More importantly, the Scots Greys helped rout a Russian cavalry division, ending the threat to Campbell’s Highlanders, and with it the threat the British supply base. With the rest of the Heavy Brigade, the Scots Greys could only look on as Lord Cardigan lead the Light Brigade on their ill-fated charge.

As the Scots Greys returned to the British lines, they passed Colonel Campbell and the 93rd Highlanders. Campbell called out to the Scots Greys, “Greys, gallant Greys, I am sixty-one years of age, but were I young again, I should be proud to serve in your ranks.”[76] Not only did Campbell recognize their achievement, so did the Crown. Two members of the Scots Greys, Regimental Sergeant Major John Grieve and Private Henry Ramage, were among the first to be awarded the Victoria Cross for their actions on 25 October.[80] The regiment was awarded a battle honour for its part in the battle.

For the rest of the war, the Heavy Cavalry, including the Scots Greys, had little to do.[81] The siege of Sevastopol finally ended with its fall to the Anglo-French forces in September 1855. With the conclusion of the peace treaty in 1856, the regiment left for home.

1857–1905: Home service, Egypt, and the 2nd Anglo-Boer War

By 1857, the regiment was back in Britain, returning to its peace time duties in England, Scotland and Ireland for the next fifty years of service without a shot being heard in anger.[82] After years of being known as the Scots Greys, though official designated as the 2nd Royal North British Dragoons, their nickname was made official. In 1877, the regiment was retitled as 2nd Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys).[81]

Although individual members of the regiment on secondment to other units may have seen action, the regiment as a whole did not see action until the start of the Anglo-Boer War. The largest detachment of the Scots Greys to see action were the two officers and 44 men who were sent to join the Heavy Camel Regiment during the expedition to relieve Gordon at Khartoum. They saw action at the Battle of Abu Klea, where they suffered thirteen killed in action, and another three who died of disease.[83]

In 1899, the regiment’s years of peace ended with the start of the Second Anglo-Boer War. That year, the Scots Greys, commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Hon. W.P. Alexander, were ordered to Cape Town to join the Cavalry Division being formed.[84] In the years since Balaclava, much had changed about warfare. Gone were the red coats and bearskin shakos. The Scots Greys would now fight wearing khaki. In fact, with the popularity of wearing khaki that accompanied the start of the Boer War, the Scots Greys went so far as to dye their grey mounts khaki to help them blend in with the veldt.[85]

The regiment arrived in the Cape Colony in December 1899 and was put to work guarding the British lines of communication between the Orange and Modder rivers.[86] When Lord Roberts was prepared to begin his advance, the Scots Greys were attached to the 1st Cavalry Brigade under Brigadier General Porter.[86] While serving under Porter, the Scots Greys were reinforced by two squadrons of Australian horsemen.[87]

Once Roberts’ offensive began, the Scots Greys took part in the relief of Kimberly. With Kimberly relieved, the Scots Greys were engaged in the fighting during the advance to Bloemfontein and later Pretoria, including the Battle of Diamond Hill.[88]

Following the capture of Pretoria, the Scots Greys were sent to liberate British prisoners. The POW‘s being held at Waterval POW camp, the same one where those captured in the Jameson Raid had been held.[89] As the Scots Greys approached, prisoner lookouts at the camp spotted the dragoons when they moved through Onderstepoort. As word spread through the camp, the British prisoners over-powered the guards, mostly men either too old or too young to be out on commando, pushed their way out of confinement to meet with the Scots Greys.[90] Although the camp guards were easily overcome, and most likely unknown to the British forces and prisoners, Koos de la Rey and his men were positioned to try and prevent the rescue of the British prisoners.[89] De la Rey ordered warning shells fired, trying to keep the prisoners in their prison camp. Faced with the approaching Scots Greys and the prisoners, De la Rey opted to not do more and instead ordered a retreat rather than fight a battle over the prison camp.[91] The Scots Greys finished the liberation without further incident.

The fall of Pretoria was also the end of the second phase of the war. With the end of formal fighting, and the start of third phase of the Boer War, the guerrilla campaign by the Boers, the Scots Greys were on the move constantly.[88] The Scots Greys initially operated west of Pretoria, but soon detachments were being sent out to garrison important points. This included detachments sent to guard the passes in the Magaliesberg.

Among the detachments was a squadron was left at Uitval (also known as Silkaatsnek) under the command of Major H. J. Scobell. There they were eventually joined by five companies from the 2nd battalion, the Lincolnshire Regiment, with a section of guns from O Battery, RHA.[92] While Scobell had kept a strong picket line to watch for Boer commandos, this was changed when he was superseded as the commander of the garrison and the Scots Greys came under the command of an infantry colonel.[93] This decrease in pickets allowed a force of Boar commandos to attack the outpost on 10 July 1900. Most of the squadron was captured during the disaster that ensued. The defeat allowed the Boers to hold Silkaatsnek.[94]

Following the disaster at Silkaatsnek, the Scots Greys were concentrated and returned to operating with the 1st Cavalry Brigade. From February to April 1901, the Scots Greys and 6th Dragoon Guards were sent on a sweep from Pretoria to east of Transvaal. In the process, they captured or destroyed large amounts of Boer war stocks, including nearly all of the remaining artillery.[88] Following that success, the Scots Greys and 6th Dragoon Guards were sent to sweep the guerrillas from the valley of the Vaal and into the Western Transvaal. There, they received word of the defeat of Benson’s column at Battle of Bakenlaagte on 30 October 1901.[88] Reinforced by the 18th Hussars, 19th Hussars, and a detachment of mounted Australians, the reinforced brigade chased after the Boers, killing a number of those who had participated in the fighting at Bakenlaagte.[88]

The Scots Greys would continue fighting to suppress the guerrilla campaign. The most notable capture made by the regiment was that of Commandant Danie Malan.[95] Eventually, the last of the “bitter enders” in the Boer camp agreed to peace, with the formal end of the conflict happening on 31 May 1902. The Scots Greys remained for three more years, helping to garrison the colony, operating out of Stellenbosch, before returning home to Britain in 1905.[95]

The Great War

During the inter-war years, the Scots Greys were reequipped and reorganized based on the experience of Boer War. Lee Enfield rifles and new swords were introduced as the British Army debated what the role of cavalry would be in the coming war. In 1914, the Scots Greys were organized as a regiment of three squadrons. Each squadron was made up of four troops with 33 men each.[96] When war did come, in August 1914, the Scots Greys were assigned to the 5th Cavalry Brigade commanded by Brigadier P.W. Chetwode.[95] The Scots Greys would remain attached to the 5th Cavalry Brigade for the rest of the war.

Initially, the 5th Cavalry Brigade operated as an independent unit under control of the B.E.F. However, on 6 September 1914, it was assigned to Brigadier-General Gough’s command. When Gough’s independent command was expanded to a division, the formation was redesignated as the 2nd Cavalry Division. The Scots Greys and the other cavalry regiments of the 5th Brigade would remain with the 2nd Cavalry Division for the rest of the war.[97]

1914: Mons, the Retreat, the Marne, the Aisne

The regiment landed in France on 17 August 1914. Soon after arriving in France, staff of the B.E.F. issued a directive ordering the Scots Greys to dye their horses. The reason was partly because the grey mounts made conspicuous targets, but was also partly based on the fact that the all grey mounts made the regiment distinctive and therefore easier to identify. For the rest of the war, the grey horses of the regiment would be dyed a dark chestnut.[98]

First contact with the German army came on 22 August 1914 near Mons. The Scots Greys, fighting dismounted, drove off a detachment from the German 13th Division. The German infantry reported that they fell back because they had encountered a brigade.[99] As it became apparent that the B.E.F. could not hold the position against the German onslaught, the Scots Greys became part of the rear guard, protecting the retreating I Corps.[98] In the aftermath of the Battle of Le Cateau, the Scots Greys, with the rest of the 5th Cavalry Brigade, helped to temporarily check the German pursuit at Cerizy, on 28 August 1914.[100]

Once the B.E.F. was able to reorganize and take part in the Battle of the Marne, in September 1914, the Scots Greys shifted from covering the retreat to screening the advance. Eventually, the advance of the B.E.F. halted at the Battle of Aisne, where British and German forces fought to standstill just short of the Chemin des Dames.[98]

1914: Race to the sea and First Ypres

After being pulled from the trenches at the Aisne, the Scots Greys were sent north to Belgium as part of the lead elements as the British and Germans raced towards the sea, each trying to outflank the other.[101] With the cavalry reinforced to Corps strength, the Scots Greys and the rest of the 5th Cavalry Brigade were transferred to the newly formed 2nd Cavalry Division.[102]

As the front became more static, and the need for riflemen on the front line more pressing, the Scots Greys found themselves being used almost exclusively as infantry through the Battles of Messines and Ypres. The regiment was almost continuously engaged from the start of the First Battle of Ypres until its end.[101]

1915–1916: Trench warfare

The Scots Greys rotated back into the trenches in 1915. Due to the shortage of infantry, the regiment continued to fill the gaps in the line, fighting in a dismounted role. The regiment remained on line for all but seven days of the Second Battle of Ypres. The losses in that battle would force the Scots Greys into reserve for the rest of the year.[101]

By January 1916, the Scots Greys were back in action, albeit in a piecemeal fashion. With the Kitchener Armies still not fully ready, men were still needed for the front. Like the other cavalry regiments, the Scots Greys contributed a troop to the front. In two months of action, this line troop was active in raids and countering raids by the German army.[101]

With the arrival of the Kitchener Armies, the Scots Greys were concentrated again in preparation of the forthcoming summer offensive. The 2nd Cavalry Division became the reserve for General Plumer‘s Second Army. Mounted, the Scots Greys were held in readiness to exploit a breakthrough that never came during the Battle of the Somme.[101]

As the war continued, it became apparent that more mobile firepower was needed at all levels of the British Army. Accordingly, the Scots Greys were expanded to include a machine gun squadron.[103]

1917: Arras and Cambraib

Despite the defeat at the Battle of the Somme, British generals still hoped to use the Scots Greys and other cavalry regiments in their traditional roles. The Battle of Arras would demonstrate the futility of that hope.[103]

Beginning in April, the Scots Greys were engaged in action around the town of Wancourt. In three days of fighting, in an action that would become known as the First Battle of the Scarpe, the regiment suffered heavy casualties among its men and horses.[104] After a short period to refit, the Greys drew the assignment of raiding the German positions at Guillermont Farm. The raid succeeded, with the Scots Greys killing 56 and capturing 14 with negligible loss to themselves.[103]

In November 1917, the Scots Greys saw a glimpse of their future when they moved to support the armoured attack at the Battle of Cambrai. Initially intended to be part of the exploitation force, as at the Battle of the Somme, the plan failed to develop the type of break through which could be exploited by the cavalry. As the fighting bogged down, the Scots Greys once again found themselves fighting on foot in an infantry role. Interestingly, part of the reason that the Scots Greys were unable to advance as cavalry was because the bridge that was crucial to the advance was accidentally destroyed when the tank crossing it proved to be too heavy.[105] Unable to advance mounted, the Scots Greys were committed as infantry to the battle.[103]

1918: St. Quentin, retreat, 100 Days

After the winding down of the battles of 1917, the Scots Greys found themselves near the St. Quentin canal. There, they witnessed the German offensive forcing their way across the canal. Although the Scots Greys held their positions, they were soon in danger of being flanked. After almost three years of static warfare, the rapidity of the German advance caught the regiment flat flooted as the German attacks penetrated the Scots Greys position.[103] In the confusion of the retreat, detachments of the Scots Greys became lost and ended up serving with other regiments of the 5th Cavalry Brigade, fighting rearguard actions as the B.E.F. retreated. Once the Michael Offensive began to grind down in April, the Scots Greys, along with the other cavalry regiments, were able to be withdrawn from the line to refit and reorganize.[103]

Between May and June 1918, the Scots Greys were held in reserve. However, in August, the Scots Greys was brought forward for the Battle of Amiens.[106] Still part of the 2nd Cavalry Division, the Scots Greys moved in support of the Canadian Corps‘ attack on Roye.[107]

With the victory at Amiens, the B.E.F. began its long awaited final offensive. During this first month of the offensive, August to September 1918, the Scots Greys rarely operated as a unit. Instead, detachments of the Scots Greys were engaged in a variety of traditional cavalry duties. This included scouting, liaison duties and patrolling.[103] As the B.E.F. approached the Sambre river, the Scots Greys were used to probe the available river crossings. However, just as they did, many dragoons of the Scots Greys began to fall ill from influenza. Within a few days, due almost solely to the influenza outbreak, the regiment could muster only one composite company of men healthy enough to fight.[108]

At the time of the Armistice, the Scots Greys were at Avesnes. To enforce the terms of the Armistice, the Scots Greys were ordered to cross into Germany, arriving there on 1 December 1918. However, although they would be here to police the terms of the armistice until a final treaty could be completed, they were almost immediately dismounted. By the beginning of 1919, the Scots Greys were reduced to 7 officers and 126 other ranks.[108] This was approximately the size of one of its pre-war squadrons.[96] After almost five years of service on the continent, the Scots Greys returned home to Britain on 21 March 1919 via Southampton.[108]

1919–1939: Inter-war years

For the next year, the Scots Greys remained in Britain. While there, the regiment was once again renamed. This time they were designated the “Royal Scots Greys (2nd Dragoons)”.[109] Although tanks had been introduced during the First World War, many senior officers believed that the horse still had a place on the battlefield. Consequently, the Scots Greys retained their horses when they were sent on to their first peacetime deployment “East of Suez“. In 1922, the Scots Greys arrived in India, where they would serve for the next six years.[109]

Upon returning to Great Britain, the Scots Greys found themselves subject to the problems that the rest of the British Army were going through in that era. In 1933, the regiment took part in a recruiting drive by conducting a march through Scotland, including a three day traverse of the Cairngorm Mountains to get better publicity.[109] Although budgets were lean, the Scots Greys, like other British cavalry regiments, were finally reequipped. Each troop would now contain an automatic weapons section.[109]

Still mounted on horses, the Scots Greys received orders for Palestine in October 1938. There they took part in suppressing the later stages of Arab Revolt. Much of the time, the Scots Greys were engaged in keeping the peace between the Jewish settlers and the Arabs.[109] The regiment was operating out of Rehovot, near Tel Aviv, when word arrived that war with Germany had begun.[citation needed]

Second World War

1939–1941: Palestine and Syria

Still stationed in Palestine, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel H. N. Todd, the Scots Greys were brought up to war strength following the declaration of war against Germany. Although the German blitzkrieg attacks in Poland, France and the Low Countries demonstrated that the tank was now the dominant weapon, the Scots Greys continued to be equipped with horses.[109]

As the B.E.F. fought in France in 1940, the Scots Greys were retained in the Middle East to police the Mandate. In fact the last mounted cavalry charge on horseback by the Scots Greys occurred in February 1940, when the regiment was called to quell Arab rioters.[109]

After this final charge, the regiment received word that it would be mechanized.[citation needed] At first, the Scots Greys were transformed into a motorized regiment, using wheeled vehicles. It was as a motorized cavalry regiment that part of the regiment was assigned to the 7th Australian Division.[citation needed] Elements of the Scots Greys and Staffordshire Yeomanry formed a composite cavalry regiment assigned to reinforce the divisional cavalry element for Operation Exporter, the invasion of Vichy held Syria and Lebanon. The remainder of the regiment remained in Palestine, operating in the vicinity of Jerusalem.[110] The composite Grey-Stafford regiment took part in most of the battles of the campaign, including the Battle of Kissoué, where it held off a counter-attack by Vichy French armour.[111]

The Scots Greys were the last Regiment of the British Army to use horses on active service.[citation needed] A final review of the Scots Greys as a cavalry regiment occurred at Nablus in the Palestine mandate once the campaign in Syria and Lebanon was complete. Soon after this final review, the horses were traded in and then they who had spent their lives as dragoons were retrained to act as drivers, loaders, and gunners for tanks. Now designated as an armoured regiment, they received their first tanks in September 1941. Initially, the Scots Greys trained on the Stuart tank.[112]

1942–1943: Egypt, Libya, Tunisia

With the conversion to armour complete, the Scots Greys were transferred to the Eighth Army. Once in Egypt, their new Stuart tanks were immediately withdrawn and the regiment spent time near Cairo learning to operate the Grant.[112] By June, the Scots Greys were ready to join the fighting against the Axis.

Although combat ready, the Scots Greys did not participate in the fighting around Tobruk in the late spring and summer of 1942. Because so many other armoured units were mauled in the fighting, the Scots Greys had to turn over their tanks to other units. In July 1942, the Scots Greys finally were committed to the fighting, equipped with a mixture of Grant and Stuart tanks. Unlike most tank units in the Eighth Army, which were either predominantly fielding heavy/medium tanks or light tanks, the Scots Greys field 24 Grants and 21 Stuarts.[113] Temporarily attached to the 22nd Armoured Brigade, the Scots Greys were placed with majority of the British heavy armour.[114] Initially held in reserve on Ruweisat Ridge, the Scots Greys conducted a successful counter-attack against the German forces to plug a hole that had been created by the German attack.[115] Attacking as though still a mounted regiment, the Scots Greys fought the Panzer IV’s of the 21st Panzer Division, eventually driving them back.[116]


A month later, the Scots Greys were in action again at the Second Battle of El Alamein.[112] Now attached to the 22nd Armoured Brigade, part of the 7th Armoured Division.[114] As part of the 4th Armoured Brigade, the Scots Greys took part in the diversionary attack which pinned the 21st Panzer Division and Ariete Division in place while other elements of the Eighth Army executed the main attack to the north. the way through the minefields.[117] Once the breakout began, with Operation Supercharge, the Scots Greys, now back with the 4th Armoured Brigade, which was attached to the 2nd New Zealand Division, began attempted breakout.[118] In the course of their advance, the Scots Greys participated in the annihilation of the Ariete Division on 4 November 1942.[119] At Fuka, the Scots Greys found the division’s artillery. Charging forward as if still mounted on horses, the Scots Greys captured eleven artillery pieces and approximately 300 prisoners in exchange for one Stuart put out of action.[117]

The Scots Greys continued their pursuit of the Panzer Army Africa for the next month and a half. The main problem for the regiment faced as it chased after Rommel’s retreating army was the condition of its tanks. Some tanks were repairable, others had to be replaced from whatever was available.[119] By the end of the month, the Scots Greys were fielding 6 Grant, 17 Sherman, and 21 Stuart tanks. Beginning in the second week of December, the Eighth Army became engaged in what would develop into the Battle of El Agheila. On 15 December 1942, the Scots Greys became engaged in tank battle with elements of the 15th Panzer Division near the village of Nofilia. Due to breakdowns and losses along the way, the Scots Greys were reduced to 5 Grants and 10 Shermans. Leading the 4th Armour Brigade’s advance, the Scots Greys entered the village, overrunning the infantry defenders, capturing 250 men of the 115 Panzergrenadier Regiment.[118] Just as it was completing the capture of the prisoners, the Scots Greys encountered approximately 30 panzers of the 15th Panzer Division.[118] The tank engagement was inconclusive, with each side losing 4 tanks, although the Scots Greys were able to recover 2 of their damaged tanks.[120] The Germans withdrew as the 2nd New Zealand Division moved to the south, outflanking the 15th Panzer Division.[118]

As the pursuit continued, the Scots Greys saw little in the way of tank versus tank action while Rommel’s army retreated into Tunisia. By January 1943, the decision was made to withdraw the Scots Greys from the front in order to refit the regiment.[117]

1943: Italy

The Scots Greys were reequipped as an all-Sherman regiment, with Sherman II tanks. The regiment continued to refit through the Sicilian campaign, not seeing action until it was part of the Salerno landings in September 1943.[117] The regiment was assigned to 23rd Armoured Brigade, an independent brigade reporting directly to X Corps.[121]


Soon after landing, the Scots Greys were in action against the German forces during the advance to Naples. Although the regiment was part of the 23rd Armoured Brigade, the regiment’s three squadrons were split up to provide armour support for the three brigades of the 56th Infantry Division.[122] Landing with the Black Cats of the 56th Division, the Scots Greys were instrumental in defeating the counter-attacks of Sixteenth Panzer Division.[123] Finally, on 16 September, the Scots Greys were committed to the fight as a regiment, helping to stop, and then drive back, the Twenty-Sixth Panzer Division, allowing X Corps to advance out of the beachhead.[124] The regiment would continue to participate in the Allied drive north, until it was brought to a halt at the Garigliano River. In January 1944, the regiment turned over its tanks to other units needing replacements and was transferred back to England.[117] Just before the regiment sailed, they were transferred back to the 4th Armoured Brigade.[125]

1944–1945: North-West Europe

The regiment spent the first half of the year refitting and training in preparation for the invasion of Europe. On 7 June 1944, the first three tanks of the regiment landed on Juno Beach.[117] As part of the Battle of Caen, the Scots Greys took part in the fighting for Hill 112.[126] During the fighting for Hill 112, the Scots Greys came to realize disparity between the Sherman II’s and the latest German armour, including the new Panthers. In one incident, a 75mm equipped Sherman of the Scots Greys hit a Panther at 800 yards four times. All four rounds impacted harmlessly on the Panther’s frontal armour.[127]

Once the breakthrough was achieved, the Scots Greys took part in the pursuit of the retreating German forces. The Scots Greys saw action at the Falaise pocket, the crossing of the Seine, and was one of the first regiments to cross the Somme River at the beginning of September 1944.[128] After crossing the Somme, the Scots Greys, along with the rest of the 4th Armoured Brigade, moved north into Belgium, near Oudenarde.[128]

In mid September, the Scots Greys took part in the Operation Market-Garden, in particular the fighting around Eindhoven where the 101st Airborne landed to capture the bridges.[129] The Scots Greys would operate in the Low Countries for the rest of the year. The regiment saw action in the operations to clear helping to capture of Nijmegen Island, and the area west of the Maas. The regiment also helped to capture the Wilhelmina Canal and clear German resistance along the Lower Rhine in order to secure the allied flank for the eventual drive into Germany.[128][130]

After nearly six months of fighting in the low countries, the Scots Greys entered Germany as part of Montgomery’s Operation Plunder offensive. On 26 February, the Scots Greys crossed into Germany.[131] Little more than a month later, the regiment was involved in the capture of Bremen.[128]

With Germany crumbling, Allied commanders began to become concerned with how far the Red Army was advancing into Western and Central Europe. To prevent possible post-war claims over Denmark, the Scots Greys and 6th Airborne Division were tasked with the job of extending eastwards past Lübeck. Despite having been in action for three months, the Scots Greys covered 60 miles (97 km) in eight hours to capture the city of Wismar on 1 May 1945. .[132] The regiment captured the town just hours before meeting up with Red Army.[132]

The final surrender by the surviving Nazi officials on 5 May 1945 marked the end of the war for the Scots Greys. With no further fighting in the regiment’s near future, the Scots Greys immediately began collecting horses to establish a regimental riding school at Wismar.[132]

1946–1971: Post-War and Amalgamation

After the final surrender of Japan, the Scots Greys shifted to garrison duty. From 1945 until 1952, the regiment remained in British sector of Germany as part of the British Army of the Rhine (BAOR), garrisoned at Osnabrück as part of 20th Armoured Brigade.[133][134] In 1952, the regiment deployed to Libya, joining the 25th Armoured Brigade.[133] The regiment returned to home service in 1955, rotating through barracks in Britain and Ireland before returning to Germany 1958 to rejoin the BAOR.[134]

In 1962, the Scots Greys were on the move again, this time deploying to help with the Aden Emergency. The regiment remained in Aden until 1963, helping to guard the border with Yemen.[135] After a year in the Middle East, the Scots Greys returned to Germany where they would remain until 1969.[134]

In 1969, the Scots Greys returned home to Scotland for the last time as an independent unit. As part of the reductions started by the 1957 Defence White Paper, the Royal Scots Greys were scheduled to be amalgamated with the 3rd Carabiniers (Prince of Wales’s Dragoon Guards). The amalgamation took place on 2 July 1971 at Holyrood Palace, Edinburgh. The amalgamated formation was christened The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys).




Royal Scots Dragoon Guards

The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys) (SCOTS DG) is a cavalry regiment of the British Army, and the senior Scottish regiment. The regiment has won numerous battle honours and three Victoria Crosses, and, through the Royal Scots Greys, is the oldest surviving Cavalry Regiment of the Line in the British Army. The regiment is currently based in Bad Fallingbostel, British Forces Germany, as part of the 7th Armoured Brigade (‘The Desert Rats’).


It was formed on 2 July 1971 at Holyrood, Edinburgh, by the amalgamation of the 3rd Carabiniers (Prince of Wales’s Dragoon Guards) (themselves the product of the amalgamation in 1922 of 3rd Dragoon Guards (Prince of Wales’s) and 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers)), and The Royal Scots Greys (2nd Dragoons).[1]

The regiment has deployed on four tours of Northern Ireland in 1972, 1974, 1976 and 1980, suffering one fatality in 1972, when Trooper Ian Hunter Caie, was killed by a bomb in a beer barrel that exploded in the path of his Ferret scout car in Moybane, near Crossmaglen County Armagh.[2]

It saw active service during the Gulf War in 1991 deploying 57 Challenger tanks[3] and in Bosnia as part of SFOR in 1996–97.[4]

In 1998, it became the first regiment in the British Army to operate the Challenger 2 main battle tank.[5]

It deployed to Kosovo, as part of KFOR, in 2000.[6]

The regiment deployed to Iraq for Operation Telic, the British element of the 2003 invasion of Iraq. The bulk of the regiment deployed as part of the Scots Dragoon Guards Battle Group with a single squadron (A Squadron) detached to the First Battalion The Black Watch Battle Group. All deployed elements of the regiment took part in the advance on Iraq’s second largest city, Basra. Prior to reaching Basra, A Squadron fought in and around Az Zubayr and C Squadron was detached from the SCOTS DG BG to fight with 3 Commando Brigade in actions south of Basra that included Britain’s largest tank engagement since the Gulf War, when 14 Challenger 2 tanks, engaged and destroyed 14 Iraqi tanks (the so-called ’14–0′ engagement).[7]

More recently in 2008, 2011 and 2013/14 the regiment deployed to Afghanistan.[8]

The pipes and drums have distinguished themselves, most recently winning the award for Album of the Year at the 2009 Classical Brits.[9]

In November 2013, the unit bade farewell to its Challenger 2 tanks and converted to a Light Cavalry unit, armed with Jackal vehicles.[10]

In the Army 2020 plan, it will be re-reroled to be a light cavalry unit, and will move to the Leuchars area.[11]

Current organisation

Jackal Vehicles in use with the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards

The regiment has converted to the role of light cavalry as part of restructuring in the army under Army 2020. It is now equipped with Jackal armoured fighting vehicles.[10]

The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards is also affiliated to A (Ayrshire (Earl of Carrick’s Own) Yeomanry) & C (Fife and Forfar Yeomanry/Scottish Horse) Squadrons of the Queen’s Own Yeomanry regiment of the Territorial Army.

Royal Scots Dragoon Guards Museum

The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards have a regimental museum situated at Edinburgh Castle.[12] Opened in 2006, the exhibits include uniforms, medals, weapons, regalia, music and a captured enemy standard from the Battle of Waterloo.

Official abbreviation

The regiment’s official abbreviation (as listed in Joint Service Publication 101 (Service Writing)) is SCOTS DG (note all capitals and the space), the format of which follows the traditional Cavalry line whereby, for example, The 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards was abbreviated 4/7DG, and the Royal Scots Greys was abbreviated GREYS.

Accoutrements and uniform]

The cap badge features an eagle, which represents the French Imperial Eagle that was captured by Sergeant Charles Ewart, the Royal Scots Greys at Waterloo, from the French 45th Regiment of Foot. It is always worn with a black backing in mourning for Tsar Nicholas II, the last Tsar of Russia, who was their Colonel-in-Chief at the time of his execution. The cap badge also has the crossed carbines of the 3rd Carabiniers at the rear of the eagle.

The Plume of The Prince of Wales with its motto “Ich Dien” is worn by all members of the Regiment embroidered on the upper part of the left sleeve. The right to wear this badge was granted to the 3rd Dragoon Guards in 1765, subsequently became the cap badge and later, with the crossed carabines, formed the badge of the 3rd Carabiniers (Prince of Wales’s).

As a royal regiment, the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards is permitted to wear the Royal Stewart tartan, which was a privilege granted by HM King George VI, and is worn by the regiment’s pipers. In addition, the Regiment’s officers are permitted to wear the Black Stewart tartan. On informal occasions in their own Mess, officers may, at the discretion of the Commanding Officer, wear trews of Black Stewart tartan with their blue Undress tunics and also when in a civilian dinner jacket.


The Loyal Toast is drunk at formal dinners in the Mess and is always drunk seated, except when Royalty is present. On evenings when a military band is present, besides playing “The Queen’ the band also play “God Bless the Prince of Wales”, an old 3rd Dragoon Guards custom, and the “Imperial Russian Anthem” in memory of Tsar Nicholas II, the Colonel-in-Chief of the Scots Greys, murdered during the Russian Revolution.

Regimental mottos

The regimental motto is Nemo Me Impune Lacessit (No one provokes me with impunity), also the motto of the Order of the Thistle, to which it refers.

  • The regiment also uses the motto “Second to None”.

Pipes and Drums

The regiment has its own Pipes and Drums, who were first formed in 1946 and tour widely, performing in competitions, concerts and parades. Their most famous piece is “Amazing Grace“, which reached number one in the charts in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and South Africa in 1972. The track sold over seven million copies by mid 1977, and was awarded a gold disc.[13] The band released a new CD in late November 2007 through Universal Music, featuring a number of classic pipe tunes along with some modern arrangements and was recorded while the regiment was based in Iraq. The album Spirit Of The Glen was produced by Jon Cohen and released by Universal on 26 November 2007. Spirit Of The Glen was officially launched at Edinburgh Castle[14] and won Album of the Year at the 2009 Classical Brits.[9][15] They have also made regular appearances at the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo over the years.[16]



Leave a Reply